Colorado Works Provides Financial Assistance For Families

Colorado Works Provides Financial Assistance For Families

Updated December 6, 2020
Twitter Logo Facebook Logo Pinterest Logo
Colorado Works Provides Financial Assistance For Families

Some of the links on this page may be from our sponsors. We provide you with helpful information and access to resources. Learn more about our mission and advertising.

Low-income families can receive financial support to help get back on their feet.

If you are seeking Colorado financial assistance, you may be eligible for the Colorado Works cash assistance program. The Colorado Works Program operates in all 64 counties and is delivered locally through each county Department of Human or Social Services.

Eligible families with at least one dependent child may be granted basic cash assistance payments to help them find their financial footing and become self-sufficient through the state's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program. Funds can be used to cover the costs of living, child support services, emergency household expenses, counseling, and job preparation and training.

The program is meant to be a temporary solution to provide assistance while becoming self-sufficient, so there are limits on the length of time that assistance is available.

  1. A lifetime limit of 60 cumulative months is applied on basic cash assistance
  2. Most adult recipients must find work within 24 months assuming they are able to work

How Much Is Available?

The maximum grant awarded for a household size of one caretaker and one child is $400 in monthly cash assistance payments. The grant amount varies based on the number of adults and children in the household.

While enrolled in the program, the Workforce Development Program will provide support to help recipients achieve financial independence by fostering job opportunities, education, training, and other resources. Enrolled families receive monthly cash assistance that can help by promoting job preparation, work, and family stabilization

Who Qualifies For TANF in Colorado?

In order to qualify for financial assistance through the Colorado Works Temporary Assistance, you must be a resident of Colorado. You must have custody of at least one dependent child under the age of 18 (or be pregnant), and meet income level standards, which are established by The State but may vary from county to county.

Households must also have no more than one car and less than $2,000 in "countable assets."

How Do I Apply For Assistance?

Applications can be submitted online through the Program Eligibility and Application kit. Once you've applied, you can check the state of your benefits using the Colorado PEAK system.

You will be required to supply documentation, including proof of identity, social security numbers for your household members, proof of income (including non-work income such as child support), and documentation relating to expenses.

It's also possible to complete the application for assistance in person at any county office.

Applications can take up to 45 days to be processed once submitted, so it won't take long to find out if you can receive Colorado Works assistance.