Consumers on government aid, including EBT or Medicaid can get a large Amazon Prime discount.
These days, more and more folks are opting to order things online if possible to save a trip to the store. Having Amazon Prime is a great option to save on delivery fees – fast and free shipping on most orders is included. The included access to Amazon music, TV, and movie streaming services also comes in handy with movies, concerts, and other entertainment options temporarily shut down.
Amazon's Prime membership isn't cheap, though – it costs $12.99 per or $119 annually (paid upfront). But recently, Amazon has started offering a discount to those on government assistance programs – it's less than half-price (just $5.99 a month) if you qualify.
The benefits are all the same, the only difference is the price.
How to get the Amazon Prime Discount
You must prove your receipt of government assistance with your EBT or Medicaid card. Sign up for Prime using the special EBT form on Amazon's website and follow the directions.
You'll be asked to upload a copy of your EBT or Medicaid card, along with your issuing state, in order to certify that your card is current.
After you verify with your EBT or Medicaid card, you’ll sign up for Amazon Prime, and start enjoying Amazon benefits right away.
What are the Benefits of Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime offers a variety of benefits including:
- Free two-day shipping on millions of items - Get all your household, child, baby care, and grooming necessities quickly and easily from Amazon within two days.
- Free same-day delivery on one million items - Many items are available for same-day shipping (by 9 PM) in certain metro areas.
- Free release-date delivery - Receive any pre-ordered merchandise on its release date (in certain zip codes).
- Subscribe and save – Subscribe to certain items, such as diapers or baby food, and save 20% on your order.
- Access to Prime Now- Get certain products delivered within 2-hours (available in certain zip codes).
- Stream thousands of TV shows and movies - Watch TV shows and movies on your TV, tablet, or phone.
- Free music streaming - Get access to thousands of stations, pre-made playlists, and millions of songs, all ad-free.
- Free Prime Reading – Get access to eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, and comics on any device. You’ll also get access to Amazon First Reads, which provides free access to one new release per month.
- Get access to Prime exclusives. Amazon saves specific deals for Prime members on a variety of items.
- Get exclusive deals on everyday essentials from brands like 365, Happy Bella Foods, Mama Bear Diapers, and other baby supplies.
Does the Children’s Health Insurance Program Count?
Many adults who don’t qualify for Medicaid have children that qualify for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Almost 75 million children have this insurance program, which is a form of Medicaid, but since it’s not for adults, it doesn’t count for the Amazon Prime discount membership. Only those on Medicaid or food stamps qualify.
If you think you qualify for an Amazon Prime discount membership, you can see if you qualify right on their website. It takes only a matter of minutes and you’ll save 50 percent off the regular price of Amazon Prime. The membership offers many benefits, including the music and TV streaming, giving you a generous discount off what you would otherwise pay for standard streaming services plus shipping on Amazon items.